Judie's BML Recipe - A Sugar Glider Modified BML Diet
Have you heard of Judie's BML
Recipe? It is a modified BML diet created by Judie
Hausmann. Judie has been breeding healthy sugar gliders for a
long time and is very well respected in the sugar glider
community. Her recipe is a modification to Bourbon's
Modified Leadbeater's Mix (BML). She modified it to mask
the bitter taste of the vitamin supplement. She says her
gliders are eating better and are staying healthy after feeding
this diet for over 6 years. We fed this recipe to our gliders
for several months before switching to HPW. Our gliders ate it well and stayed
very healthy. This is Judie's BML recipe:
Judie's Modified BML Recipe
Items in red are items that are
different from the Original BML recipe.
Put in blender:
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg (boiled or microwaved, no shell)
- 1/4 cup mixed fruit blend of juice
(ex. apple-white grape)
Blend well, turn off blender, add the following:
Blend until smooth, turn off blender, add the following:
Blend until you reach a very smooth consistency. Pour into
Tupperware bowl or ice cube trays, cover, and FREEZE.
For one glider, feed 1 TABLEspoon Judie's BML mix, 1
TABLEspoon fruits, and 1 TABLEspoon vegetables nightly.
Use a frozen bag of mixed vegetables (corn, peas, &
green beans) for the veggies. For the fruits, use a mixture of
frozen blueberries, frozen cherries, fresh red grapes, and
- If freezing Judie's BML into ice cube trays, one cube
should equal around 2 Tablespoons. You may want to test it
out to make sure.
- You should be able to find the Gerber yogurt
juice in the baby food aisle. If you can not find it,
you can substitute it with 1/4 cup plain yogurt and 1/4 cup
mixed fruit juice.
- The baby food chicken does not have the most pleasant
smell. The chicken will say either Chicken with Chicken
Gravy or Chicken with Chicken Broth. Either one is fine.
You can also substitute the chicken with the turkey baby
- DO NOT substitute the Rep-Cal Herpivite Vitamin Supplement
with any other supplement. These are the calcium
and supplement that work with this diet:
- DO NOT feed the pits or seeds of apples, cherries,
- Use fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables - NOT
- Young joeys may eat more BML and less fruits &
veggies. This is ok. You should continue to offer them
- Do NOT offer Briskys with the BML. It is a diet plan
within itself and could throw the balance off of both
- Gliders are messy with their food. Try putting
their food dish inside of a "glider kitchen". This can be
a plastic (ferret) igloo on top of a
plate or an upside-down plastic container with a hole in
the side. This will help keep the mess and the cage
smell down and make cleaning the cage MUCH
- If you need to feed your gliders a few hours early,
prepare the diet without thawing the fruits and
vegetables. It should be thawed out by the time they
- A dry
staple food is not required to supplement this diet,
but can be used during the day in case your sugar gliders
wake up and need a snack.
- Judie's BML Diet is one of the approved sugar
glider diets designed to be fed as a main course.
- Judie's website can be found at http://www.mylittlegremlin.com.
Judie's BML Diet Recipe to Sugar
Glider Diet Recipes
Return to Sweet Sugar