Priscilla Price Diet Recipe for Sugar Gliders
The Priscilla Price Diet (aka The Sugar Glider Exotic Diet) was created by Priscilla Price at The Pet Glider.
She has used this diet successfully with over 1,000 sugar gliders, including rehabilitated gliders.
It uses "The Pet Glider Complete" Multivitamin supplement. Please note, this
diet recipe was updated on 04/27/2010, so that the instructions are easier to follow. The
actual ratios of the foods in the recipe have not changed, but some of the amounts have
Priscilla Price Diet Recipe
- 64 oz unsweetened applesauce
- 12 oz Dannon non-fat plain yogurt
- 6 oz concentrated calcium fortified orange juice, no water added
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Old Fashioned Oats (NOT QUICK-COOKING OATS)
- 2 TABLEspoon fresh ground flax seed or wheat germ, refrigerated
Making the "Basic Mix"
With a wooden spoon, mix the applesauce, oats, yogurt, wheat germ and orange juice in a large mixing bowl.
Divide the mixture into two equal portions. Portion one: add 4 large scrambled eggs. Portion two:
add 8 oz unseasoned, unsalted, broiled shredded chicken.
Divide each bowl in 1/2, so that you now have 4 bowls (2 with chicken and 2 with eggs). Add 1/2 cup
various chopped or pre-cut fruits AND 1/2 cup chopped or pre-cut vegetables to each portion (see
recommended fruits and vegetables below). Each bowl should have a different combination of fruits and
vegetables. Add a little more oats to any mixture that seems runny. Freeze the Priscilla Price Diet
mixture flat in quart size freezer bags (1/2" or less thick). If you choose to use pre-cut frozen produce, do not
use vegetables which have a high ratio of corn.
Daily: Break off a frozen piece of the basic mix (about 2-3 TABLEspoons per glider). Feed 10-15
medium-sized mealworms or 7-8 large sized mealworms every day.
The following should be available to the gliders at all times:
Daily Vitamin/Mineral Supplement
Sprinkle 1/8 TEAspoon of "The Pet Glider Complete" Multivitamin per glider on food daily.
Pure apple juice diluted with half purified water 3-4 times per week.
- Priscilla's recommended fruits: papaya, oranges, bananas, strawberries, cantaloupe,
mango, kiwi, peaches, honeydew melon. You can also use frozen fruit to add variety.
- Priscilla's recommended vegetables: yellow squash (or any in season squash), red &
peppers, carrots, sweet potatoes, bok choy, jicama, cooked lima beans, green beans, peas, beets, chayote
squash, collards, okra, cucumber, and corn in very small amounts (corn is high in phosphorus).
- Do not substitute "The Pet Glider Complete" Multivitamin with any other
vitamin/mineral supplement. It is designed specifically to work nutritionally with the Priscilla Price
- Lactating females can be given more mealworms.
- The Sugar Glider Exotic Diet can be offered fresh the first 2 nights, but the rest should be
frozen as directed.
- If your mixture is too thick (from the oats), Priscilla recommends adding extra
fruit or applesauce.
- Priscilla advises NOT to feed beef, seeds, nuts, or cottage cheese. These are high in
- Priscilla says that this diet stands alone, but extra vegetables can be served if
- Gliders are messy with their food. Try putting their food dish inside of a "glider kitchen". This can
be a plastic (ferret) igloo on top of a plate or an upside-down plastic container with a hole
in the side. This will help keep the mess and the cage smell down and make cleaning the cage MUCH
- If you need to feed your gliders a few hours early, prepare the diet without thawing the fruits and
vegetables. It should be thawed out by the time they wake up.
- Priscilla Price Diet is one of the approved sugar glider diets designed to be fed as
a main course.
- Priscilla's website can be found at http://www.thepetglider.com.
Return from Priscilla Price Diet Recipe to
Sugar Glider Diet Recipes
Return to Sweet Sugar Gliders